Society Journals Calls for Applications
American Journal of Botany Reviews Editor -- Open call for applications
The American Journal of Botany launched a Reviews Section in 2020 that features timely syntheses of major issues and new insights that will guide future research. Reviews are highly valued by students learning about a field for the first time, as well as by established scientists for thoughtful syntheses and fresh perspectives. Reviews provide the opportunity to explore newly emerging fields and to bring together research in disparate areas to generate new questions.
AJB Associate Editor Dr. Jannice Friedman (Queen’s University, Canada) served as the inaugural Reviews Editor. Starting in 2019, she worked "behind the scenes" to develop a workflow for soliciting and handling submissions, through publication of the first Review in 2020, to the current line-up of regular publication of Reviews.
Part of the vision for the AJB Reviews Section includes a regular rotation of Editors, and the inaugural term will end soon. AJB is seeking a new Reviews Editor and member of the Editorial Board. This position offers a unique opportunity to help shape the direction and success of AJB and ensure representation of a diversity of voices and topics in the AJB Reviews section, and it includes the bonus of working with a friendly and support team to advance botanical research and support the scientists who do it!
- Responsibilities include: 1) leadership of the Reviews Team (members include the AJB Editor-in-Chief, BSA Director-At-Large for Publications (elected by BSA membership), and BSA Director of Publications (staff person)); 2) solicitation of Reviews from the community; 3) evaluation of Review proposals; 4) communication with authors, and frequent assessment of the success of the effort.
- Qualifications: experience on the Editorial Board of a professional journal (Handling Editor, Associate Editor, Editor, etc.); interest in diverse areas of botanical research; and a commitment to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the voices and subjects represented in the series.
- Why would you want to do this? To work with a friendly and supportive team to advance research and the scientists who do it! To help shape the direction and success of AJB and ensure adequate representation of a diversity of voices and topics.
If you are interested, please send your CV and a cover letter that includes:
- Details of your experience and why you are interested in the position, as well as how you plan to contribute to the society’s goals of furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Answers to the following questions:
- What makes a good Review in your opinion?
- How do you stay informed about the breadth of botanical (and related) research?
- What strategies would you use to increase the range of topics covered in the Reviews section?
Apply by July 30, 2021, to Reviews@botany.org.
Applications in Plant Sciences Recruiting Editor – Open call for applications
Applications in Plant Sciences is seeking two Recruiting Editors to assist the Editor-in-Chief in continuing to advance the journal as a publication outlet for novel methods and resources in the plant sciences. The Recruiting Editors will work together to help identify and recruit potential authors on focused topics of interest, both for individual submissions in all article types (with a particular focus on Review Articles) and for special issues.
This position is a unique opportunity to help shape the direction of APPS and contribute to its success within the international botanical community. Recruiting Editors will work with a friendly, supportive, and forward-thinking team and help promote new methods and protocols in the plant sciences!
In their inaugural term, each Recruiting Editor will serve a 2-year term that is renewable, provided their performance meets the expectations of the position. Ideally, we hope to bring together two editors—one early-career and one senior researcher—who will complement each other in terms of interests, experience, and geographic representation.
- Responsibilities include: (1) working closely with the APPS Editor-in-Chief to identify potential authors and topics in the plant sciences within the scope of the journal and of interest to readers; (2) inviting identified authors to submit to the journal; (3) assessment of success of their efforts.
- Qualifications: candidates should be highly productive in publishing their own research; the senior candidate would ideally have experience on the Editorial Board of a professional journal (Handling Editor, Associate Editor, Editor, etc.) (Editorial Board experience is waived for early-career candidates); be interested in diverse areas of botanical research; have expertise and familiarity with methods in at least one area of the plant sciences; and be committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the voices and subjects represented in APPS.
If you are interested, please send your CV and a cover letter that details your experience, education, and enthusiasm for this particular position as well as how you plan to contribute to the society’s goals of furthering diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Apply by July 30, 2021, to email@example.com.